Friday, September 7, 2012

Chapter 20


ASR screams Khushi’s name and runs to her.
Khushi closes her eyes tight with fright…
He grabs her at the last moment and pulls her away from the fast moving truck.
They fall on the road with Khushi on top of ASR. ASR’s elbow slams on a rock on the road and it starts bleeding.

Khushi opens her tightly shut lids hearing Arnav’s hiss of pain and sees his elbow bleeding.
Khushi, concerned for Arnav, immediately grabs his elbow to check his wound: Arnavji, you are bleeding… (She pulls Arnav up) Come with me. We need to wash the wound.
Arnav protests: I’m fine Khushi. But please believe me Khushi, I am not lying when I said I love you.
Khushi ignores his explanation: Arnavji, now is not the time to talk about this. First let me take care of your wound.
She drags Arnav back to the office, holding his hand carefully. Arnav follows her.

As they enter the office again, the office staff is surprised to see ASR following his fiancé like a good boy without shouting or exploding.
Arnav continues: Khushi, we will talk about this. I have to explain to you why I did not answer your question right away.
Khushi (serene): Arnavji, shush.
Arnav shuts up to the surprise of the his staff. One of the girl asks another to pinch her to see if she is dreaming. Someone claims ASR had been abducted by aliens and was replaced by a better clone.
ASR ignores his staff but decides to talk about it after Khushi finishes whatever she is bent to do.
Khushi drags Arnav to his washroom at his office and carefully cleans the wound with warm water. Then she softly dabs the wound with a soft towel.
Khushi asks: Where is your fast-aid box?
Arnav points out a cupboard under the sink. Khushi takes out the fast aid box and carefully bandages the wound.
Then Arnav notices Khushi’s palms are scratched and red from the fall when she tried to break the impact using her palms.
He grabs her hand: You are also bruised.
Khushi pulls her hands: It’s simple scratches. I’m fine, Arnavji.
Arnav does not leave her hands. He cleans her wounds with same tenderness as Khushi has done for him and then puts antiseptic cream on it.
After he was done taking care of her wounds to his satisfaction, he lets her hands go.
Arnav takes a deep breath and looks at Khushi: Khushi, I know when you asked the question whether I had a hidden agenda when I proposed to you, I looked guilty but that was because…
Khushi puts her index finger on his mouth stopping him: Sssshhh… Arnavji, you don’t have to say anything. I understand.
Arnav slowly removes her finger from his mouth: You do?
Khushi calmly: Yes. I may have some doubts about your intentions when that lady said that you had hidden agenda to marry me because Buaji said the same thing to me when we came to live in Shantivan. But I have no doubts now. Seeing death at such a close range has made me realize that I can’t live without you. When the truck was coming at me, I was not as scared as I was when you started running towards me. Even when I was upset and angry with you, I was scared for your life, not mine… That’s how much I love you.

And if you are hiding something from me, it must be really important for you to do so. My heart says that what you feel for me is true love and I have always listened to my heart. I will let you tell me the truth when you are comfortable. But for now, it’s enough for me to know that I’m going to get married to you tomorrow and going to spend the rest of my life with the man I love, however long it may be. That’s enough for me for now.

Arnav grabs Khushi and pulls her in his embrace in a tight hug. His tears starts to fall and for the first time in his life, he feels may be there is a God after all…


Khushi pulls back from Arnav’s embrace and wipes her tears. She looks at Arnav in mock anger: But I’m still angry at you.
Arnav gets worried: Why Khushi?
Khushi asks him with a stern voice: Did you have breakfast or your medicine this morning?
Arnav looks at her sheepishly like a recalcitrant school boy who has been caught: Ummm… No.
Khushi pulls his hand towards his office and continues her chatter: How many times I will have to tell you to have your food on time, Arnavji? If you don’t take food, how will you have medicine? If you don’t have medicine, you will be sick and then what will happen?
Arnav smiles at his Khushi: Then I guess you’ll have to take care of me.

Khushi makes him sit on the couch and plops her hand on her hips: No, I won’t. Because I won’t let you fall sick. I made special breakfast today and you left without eating it. So I brought it for you.
Arnav’s heart melts seeing her love and care for him: You made special breakfast for me? What did you make?
Khushi’s eyes sparkle: It’s a surprise.
She grabs the hot pot still lying on the floor where she dropped it and brings it to the table in front of the couch. She opens the hot pot and the smell of Mathura Aloo comes out.
Arnav closes his eyes at the nostalgic smell: This reminds me of my childhood when Di and I used to go to Naniji’s house on summer vacation. She used to make some potato that smelled like this.
Khushi smiles: I know. Because Naniji taught me how to make it.
Arnav’s eyes sparkle with happiness: Then serve it quickly. I’m hungry.
Khushi serves the food in a hurry and watches over Arnav with a smile while he eats her cooking with relish.

After some time, Arnav pulls back and declares: I’m full. The food was so tasty, I think I ate more than I usually do.
Khushi smiles happily: Good. Now here’s your medicine. Take it now.
Arnav takes the medicine with a smile: Yes ma’m.
Khushi re-packs all lunch boxes and gets up. Arnav grabs her hands: Where are you going?
Khushi looks back at him surprised: Home. Where else would I go?
Arnav makes a cute puppy face: Don’t go.
Khushi smiles indulgently: Naniji has arranged for havan today for Jiji, jiju and our happy married life. I will have to go. But you come home soon.
Arnav thinks of the meeting he needs to have with Angad regarding the fingerprints results and possible action to find Shyam and feels sad not being able to go home with Khushi.
Seeing Arnav’s upset face, Khushi tells him softly: But I can sit here for a minute.
She slowly sits down beside Arnav and puts her head on his shoulder and leans on him. Arnav’s arms go around her to pull her closer to him.
Arnav’s heart sighs in love and he thinks: No matter what destiny have in store for us, nothing can take away these moments away.

Later, Arnav sends Mohan to drop Khushi home and picks up phone to call Angad: Angad, I want the result fast. I need to leave soon.


Shaantivan:

Khushi arrives Shaantivan with a spring on her steps. Naniji was busy preparing for the havan when she sees Khushi. She teases her: Looks like someone was really happy with your cooking.
Anjali and Payal giggle while Khushi turns red. Suddenly Nani sees the bruises on Khushi’s palm. She grabs her hands worriedly: Khushi bitiya, what is this? How did you get hurt?
Suddenly everyone was crowding around her.
Mamiji sniggers: Did you take breakfast for Arnav bitwa or went to play cricket?
Naniji scowls at Mamiji: Manorama, let her speak.
Khushi tries to calm them down: Naniji, there was a little accident.
Anjali gasps in worry: Accident?
Khushi hurriedly reassures her: Don’t worry Di. It was not that bad. You know how I am. I was about to fall and Arnavji tried to save me so he got hurt too on his elbow. (Quickly sends a prayer to Devi Maiyaa for delivering this watered down version of the actual event) But don’t worry. I put bandage on his wound and he took care of mine.
Naniji’s eyes soften with love: That’s how it should be, my dear. You are going to be life partners. You should take care of each other. But this makes me think that this havan could not have happened on a better day.
Buaji and Garima also nod their head in agreement.
All the ladies get busy with preparation.

Around afternoon, Naniji calls Payal and Khushi at the living room.
She gives both of them gifts to wear that night. Payal got a mustard yellow saree and for Khushi she got a sky blue and silver lehenga with fishtail skirt and corset style top with short transparent sleeves.

ASR’s Office:

Angad knocks on the door and comes in.
ASR looks up from his laptop and looks at Angad: So? What’s the verdict?
Angad nods his head: The fingerprints match. We can file a case on her. However, we could not find a trace where exactly she has hidden Shyam. He is not hiding at her home.
ASR gets frustrated: There must be a trace. Credit cards, phone bills, something.
Angad tells him: Her credit cards show no records of any suspicious transaction. Her phone bills show several calls made to various unknown numbers but no single no. in particular. My assumption is that he is using multiple anonymous sim cards to make calls or he is hiding somewhere close by. We are keeping a watch near the vicinity of her office and home. But so far we have not found anything.
ASR slams his palm on his desk and winces in pain: Dammit…
Angad continues: But we found something you might find interesting.
ASR growls: What?
Angad: I had found out in my investigation that Shyam has not taken a single case since last Diwali. So my second thought was where he was getting money for his expensive cost of living? I started investigating and found out that all his expenses were being paid by your sister. So I started investigating your sister’s spending and found out that her credit card shows enormous amount spent on expensive clothes, two engagement rings of the same look from the same jewellery store, expensive watches etc. Also, the same credit card has been used to withdraw cash which was untraceable.

But that was all when he was living at Shaantivan. After he was evicted, there were still regular cash withdrawals from the same credit card account, but no more physical transactions. As far as I know, your sister has not left the city for any reason since her husband left. But some cash withdrawals were done outside of Delhi.
I checked with your head accountant and he informed me that as per your instruction, they don’t check or verify any expenses on your family’s credit cards or bank accounts. They just pay the credit cards and deposit a fixed amount every month on their bank account as well as deposit extra cash should the balance go down under a certain level. That’s why these transactions were not caught before. This makes me think, may be Shyam stole your sister’s credit card before leaving Shaantivan.

Arnav gets up from his seat frustrated: I did not realize that Shyam was taking advantage of my generosity for so long. I arranged that system so that my family can have anything they wish to have. But it seems I was wrong. From now on, my accountant will check all expenses.

He turns to Angad: Thanks Angad, for the information. Please tell me accountant to cancel that credit card immediately and dispute the charges. Also, keep investigating Shyam’s whereabouts. He will only remain hidden until he has money. But once he runs out of it, he has to come out of hiding and then we will make our moves.
Angad nods his head and gets up from his seat to leave: Thanks ASR and congratulations on your wedding. I’m looking forward to meet your new wife. She must be really something.
Arnav nods his head and gives a small smile: Thanks and yes, she is. She is amazing.
Angad leaves his office.
ASR looks out of his glass window and clenches his fist: Shyam, I have closed all the holes on the ground you were hiding in. Now you will have to come out and the moment you come out, I will be ready to tear you apart.


A falling star goes spiralling through the sky and burns itself out at the horizon.

2 comments:

  1. I Like angad. I hope my likeness for him stays the same. And I hate Shyam. Cheaters dont deserve a chance like that.

    Love Arnav and Khushi interactions. Beautiful.

    Thank you!
    JerryTheMouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. tht was simply fab one..
    loved the way they both took care of each other..
    Angad was amazing the way he is investigating things..
    rkapoor1382

    ReplyDelete