Sunday, September 23, 2012

Chapter 23



Arnav’s Room, Shaantivan:

Khushi and Arnav were in each other’s embrace when someone knocked on the door.
It was HP: Khushi didi, Naniji is calling you to go finish the ceremony.
Khushi squirmed in Arnav’s arms: Arnavji, let me go. Naniji is calling me.
Arnav tightens his hold: What if I don’t?
Khushi smiles cheekily: Well, then you won’t get your surprise.
Arnav loses his hold surprised: Surprise? What surprise?
Khushi pushes out of his loosened hold and smiles mischievously: Find out if you can…
And then she runs out giggling.
Arnav smiles at her giggle and shakes his head thinking what his crazy girl is up to now?


Front lawn, Shaantivan:

The ladies pour rose water over Payal and Khushi washing out their Haldi. Then the brides go to their room to take shower.
After shower, Khushi goes to NK’s room.
NK’s Room, Shaantivan:
Khushi knocks on the door: Nanheji. Can I speak to you for a minute?
NK asks: Sure Khushiji. What is it?
Khushi blushes and says: Nanheji, I need your help.


Arnav’s Room, Shaantivan:

Arnav was on the phone with Angad: What the hell, Angad? Why aren’t you here? I don’t care if your entire army is here, I want you to be present here personally. Leave everything and come right now.
He hears a knock on the door: Angad, I think someone is on the door. Get here right now.
Arnav hangs up the phone and opens the door.
NK was beaming there.
Arnav wrinkles his brow in displeasure: What is it NK?
NK smiles: Nannav, you have to come with me.
Arnav sneers: No, I don’t have to come with you.
NK gets flustered: No, I mean yes. (restores his confidence) You gotta come with me. We need to decorate your room for you know what (winks)…
Arnav gets even angrier: No, I don’t know why you need to decorate my room.
NK gets irritated: Off ho… For your wedding night. Now get out so we can work here.
Arnav smoothes his brow: Oh that’s it? Fine. Do it. I will not disturb you.
He starts to move towards the recliner but NK grabs his arms: No no, Nannav. You can’t see the decoration before the night. Or… or… You won’t get to spend the night with your bride. It’s mad luck.
Arnav sneers: You mean bad luck. What rubbish?
NK pushes him out of the room: No no, it’s true. Why don’t you go do whatever in living room? We will call you when it’s ready.
Arnav irritatingly storms down the stairs muttering about stupid rituals and customs.

NK runs to the poolside and flashes thumbs up signal to Khushi who was standing in the window of her room. Khushi flashes him a thumbs up signal back and runs out the room.


Living Room, Shaantivan:

Arnav checks his watch. It’s almost 4 o’clock and as its February, the sun has already gone down. The guests will start arriving shortly and he is not even dressed for the wedding yet.
He gets up: I don’t care if the room is ready or not, I’m going up.
He goes to his room and sees it’s dark.
He raises his hand to switch on the light and suddenly sees something sparkling in the poolside.

He walks up to the poolside and sees that every surface is covered with red rose petals and cascading from every shingles are white lights in the shape of white roses creating a warm glow.

Then he sees her.

Khushi was standing in the middle of the red rose petals and white rose lights wearing a white net anarkali with blood red sequined roses embroidered on the bust and the hem.
It had an asymmetrical hem - floor length in the back and knee length in the front, deep neck in the front and deeper neck in the back with long elbow length transparent sleeves.
She was glowing in the warm light under the full moon night and the twinkling stars like some celestial being.

Arnav starts walking towards her mesmerized.

Khushi says: Arnavji, when I met you for the first time, I did not know that I was meeting my destiny that day. But I’m glad that I did not know. Because I’d have run screaming from there.

Arnav and Khushi both smile remembering their first meeting.

Khushi continues with painful eyes: I don’t know why, in spite of all the love I feel when I’m with you, I see this heart-wrenching pain in your eyes sometimes and why you can’t share it with me.
Arnav opens his mouth to speak. Khushi puts her index finger on his mouth to stop him from speaking: But whatever the reason is for your silence, I want you to know that I will be by your side all the way.
She looks in his eyes with determination and full of conviction which only true love and trust can give: Today, I’m glad that fate has chosen me for you and you for me. Today we will become one in front of man and God. I don’t know what the future will bring and I don’t want to know. Because I want to live every moment with you and for you right here, right now. And I know, no matter what future brings for us, if I have you by my side, I can face anything.

Arnav picks up her tiny hands and kisses her on the palm. He whispers with tearful eyes: Thank you.

Khushi wipes his tears and holds his hand to pull him towards the poolside table. There was a heart shaped cake on it with “Happy Valentine’s Day, Arnavji” was written.

Khushi stands on her tip-toes to give him a kiss on the cheek and whispers: Happy Valentine’s Day, my love.
Arnav hugs her tight and whispers in her ears: Happy Valentine’s Day, my life.

They cut the cake together. Khushi picks up a piece and hold it to Arnav: You can eat it Arnavji. I made it for you with sugerfree.
Arnav smiles and eats the delicious white chocolate cake.

Then he feeds Khushi the cake and says: I’m sorry Khushi. I did not get you anything.
Khushi smiles: You did, Arnavji.
Arnav (surprised): I did? What?
Khushi smiles: You are giving me yourself today, Arnavji. That’s all I ever wanted. That’s all I ever need.
Arnav drags her in his arms and looks up in the sky at the twinkling stars.

He thinks: You are right Khushi. I won’t lose my moments with you by thinking about losing you. I will live these moments to the fullest. If death comes to you in the next moment, I will be so wrapped up around you, that it will have to get through me to come to you.


The candlewick at the temple uses up its last drop of wax.


Hindi Words Hints:

Anarkali - An Indian outfit. A long top with a band under the bust or on the waist and then flowing skirt falling from the band to anywhere between knee to floor length. It comes with a long scarf and a tight pant. Google Anarkali to see examples. 

No comments:

Post a Comment