Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Chapter 11


Arnav runs through the hospital corridor with an unconscious Khushi in his arms... Some nurses come running with a stretcher.
Arnav lays Khushi down on the stretcher and frantically grabs a passing doctor: Doctor, my wife got stung by a scorpion. Please do something. Save her...
Doctor: Calm down. I will take a look.
Doctor inspects Khushi's hand where the area looked bright red and swollen... He checks Khushi's pupil by stretching her closed eye lids and tongue...
The doctor says to Arnav: We need to take the venom out asap. Please sign the necessary paperworks and we will start the procedure. But do it fast. The venom is spreading too quickly...
Then the doctor shouts at the nurses: Prepare OT and get the pumps and anti-venoms ready. Stat...
Arnav remembers another night when another doctor had taken a bleeding Khushi inside the operation theatre and she never woke up again...
He shouts: No. I won't let you take her in the operation theatre. She will not come out alive. You do it here... In front of my eyes... I won't let you take her anywhere.
The doctor tries to pacify a hysterical Arnav: Listen Mr. Please calm down. We can't do the procedure here because all our equipments are inside the theatre. So we need to take your wife inside. Please understand. We need to take her now.
He grabs the doctor's white coat with both fists: Doctor, if anything happens to my wife... Then this entire hospital will be shut down. You don't know who I am... I am Arnav Singh Raizada... If I lose my Khushi, then I will make sure that none of the people here will ever find a job anywhere in this world...
The doctor panics at the wild look: Listen Mr. Raizada, the more you keep me waiting, the less chance we will have to save your wife. It will be beneficial to you, if you let me do my job. We will try our best.
Arnav lets him go and barks at the nurse: Where's the papers I need to sign?
The nurse raises her trembling hand and hands over the papers. Arnav fills out the papers for Khushi Kumari Gupta Singh Raizada, wife of Arnav Singh Raizada...
The nurse takes the papers and leaves hurriedly...

The doctor wheels Khushi to the OT and Arnav runs after her.
As the Operation Theatre's door closes, he notices that his phone is ringing...
Arnav wipes the sweat off his face with his trembling hand and picks up the phone. It was Naniji.
Naniji: Chotey, what happened? I have been calling you for such a long time, but you were not picking up the phone... What happened to Khushi bitiya? Is she okay?
Arnav breaks down: Nani, Khushi got stung by a scorpion...
Naniji was shocked: How did that happen? How did a scorpion come into the house?
Arnav raises his angry glare: Nani, it was inside one of the Jalebie boxes. You just give me the name of the sweet supplier. I will take care of the rest. Whoever did this, will pay with their lives... I promise you.
Nani: I have the sweet supplier's name. But which hospital are you in?
Arnav tells them the name.
Nani: You don't worry. We are coming there...
Arnav hangs up the phone and sits down on one of the chairs... He puts his head face down on his palms.

He can't remember how long he was sitting there like this. He suddenly realizes that someone put a hand on his shoulder. He jumps to stand up thinking it was the doctor. But it was Nani with his and Khushi's family...
Everyone was looking worried. Naniji asks: Chotey, how is Khushi bitiya?
Arnav says in a broken voice: I don't know Nani... She is still in there (Points to the OT)
Naniji assures him: Don't worry Chotey. Everything will be all right.

Suddenly the OT door opens and the doctor comes out.
Arnav rushes to the doctor and asks in a broken voice: How is she?
The doctor says: It was hard. But we have managed to pull the venom out. She is a little bit weak. But she is fine. You can take her home in the morning.
Arnav feels his pounding heart starts to slow in relief...
Naniji: Thanks to Devi Maiyya. Khushi bitiya is all right.
Everyone breathes a sigh of relief.
Payal asks: Doctor, can we see her?
The doctor says: She is still unconscious. But when she comes to her senses, only one of you can meet her.
Garima smiles and says: I think then Arnav bitwa should go in...
The doctor nods back: Yes, I think she should see her husband first...
The doctor leaves...
Everyone gets shocked and looks at Arnav: Husband?
Arnav remembers that in his tension, he had registered Khushi as Khushi Kumari Gupta Singh Raizada and his wife.
He stammers: Well, I had to do it because they needed someone to sign some paperwork and that's all I could think of. It should not be a problem as we are getting married in a few days anyway.
Garima smiles: It's okay bitua. You did what you had to do. She is going to be your wife anyway. I can't thank you enough for saving my Khushi's life.
Arnav says: Please aunty. Don't say that. Khushi's life is important to me too.
Anjali wipes her tears: Chotey, now go inside. Khushiji will be worried if she does not see you when she wakes up.
Arnav nods and goes inside.
He sees Khushi lying on a white bed unconscious.
He picks up her hand and kisses it: Do you know how worried I was? If anything happened to you, I would have died too... Never ever do that again... I can't live without you...
You know right that your heartbeat beats with mine? If yours stops, mine will stop too...
Khushi stirs slowly: Hummm?
Arnav smiles through tears: Hummm...
He bends down and kisses on her forehead tenderly...
Khushi opens her heavy eyes and sees her Arnavji looking at her. She tries to speak but her mouth was dry: Water...
Arnav rushes on the bedside and grabs a glass of water and tries to help her up... But it was difficult as Khushi was still very weak.
Arnav looks around but does not find anything to help her drink.
Then he gets an idea. He says to Khushi, open your mouth...
Khushi slowly opens her mouth.
He takes some water in his, bends over her lips and places his mouth over her open lips letting the water fall into her mouth quenching her thirst...
He does it a couple of times until Khushi smiles and nods indicating, she is no longer thirsty...
She smiles shyly...
Arnav says teasing her: Wow... I did not know, Khushi Kumari Gupta can be shy too...
Khushi pouts...
Arnav touches her forehead with his and sighs: Don't ever leave me Khushi.
Khushi's eyes get teary: Never...
Arnav kisses her forehead: Good... Because every time you try to leave me, I will come after you and bring you back...
Khushi whispers: Promise?
Arnav vows: Promise...

1 comment: