Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Chapter 5



Arnav rushes in the living room. He sees Naniji and Anjali are busy checking upcoming Sangeet function preparation.
He goes to Naniji and says: Nani, you wanted me to get married, right?
Nani and Anjali's eyes open wide in shock.
He sees Anjali slowly pinching herself and then yelp in pain...
He rolls his eyes: Speak damn it...
Nani: Yea - es... I mean yes. We want you to get married...
Anjali just nods her heard up and down vigorously.
Arnav: Fine. I will be getting married tomorrow...
Nani: Huh? But we need time to find you a bride... How can you get married tomorrow without a bride?
Arnav (happy that his plan is on track): Since you all love Khushi so much, I will marry her. That way both sisters will come to the same house.
Anjali suddenly chokes and start coughing...
Nani pats her back and Arnav runs to her and asks her worriedly: Di, are you okay?
Anjali takes a deep breathe: Chotey? Are you saying what I think you are saying? Am I dreaming?
Arnav: Yes, I will marry Khushi tomorrow. Arrange it.
Nani (exasperated): But Chotey, we can't kidnap Khushi for you. We have to ask her parents for her hand. We need time to prepare everything, do her wedding shopping, send out invitations... It is not possible tomorrow.
Arnav: Fine. Then I will marry on the same day Aakash is marrying Payal... All the arrangements are done for them, just double them. Send out another sets of invitations and prepare for my wedding at the same time you are preparing for Aakash's...
Anjali: But Chotey. Did you ask Khushiji? What if she says no?
Arnav (Irritated): Why would she say no?
Anjali: Umm... I mean, you know, you have not been exactly... ummm... Prince charming to her and all...
Arnav (Angry): Leave her to me. She will say yes.
Nani (Finally ecstatic): Anjali bitiya, let it happen. I always wanted Khushi bitiya to be our daughter-in-law... Now the dream will come true. I'm very happy...
Anjali (Equally excited): Me too Nani... I'm sooo happy my Chotey is marrying Khushiji...
Arnav (smirks seeing the plan coming to conclusion): Wait...
Nani and Anjali freezes on spot thinking Arnav changed his mind again...
Arnav: I have a condition...
Nani (Worried): Condition? What condition?
Arnav: You will convince the Gupta family to come and live with us here until the wedding is over.
Nani (Surprised): What? But why would they agree? They are very proud people.
Arnav: I don't care how you convince them. Tell them, we will all celebrate as a family or whatever you see fit. They can leave after the wedding. But until the wedding, I want everyone under this roof.
Nani: But why are you putting this condition?
Arnav (Irritated): Say yes or no... Now...
Anjali (overeager): Yes yes... I agree... I will talk to them... Anything for you Chotey... (smiles big)...
Arnav (smug): Good. I will arrange for their move tomorrow. When you go to their place with gifts tomorrow, take two sets of gifts and talk to them about Khushi and my wedding and their move. I will arrange the rest.
Anjali and Nani nods wide eyed.
Arnav leaves for his room...

Arnav stands by the poolside and starts calling his designing team and Aman. He gives them instruction to design outfits for Khushi and his wedding and all functions. Aman is instructed to prepare a grand invitation for everyone including media and business associates, but asked to wait until he gives his final approval.
After hanging up the call, he sits on the bed and starts thinking how to keep Khushi safe until the move...  He comes up with a solution.
He calls Aman again from his home office. After a few moments, his fax machine beeps. He checks the papers and then he leaves his office to go out.

After Arnav leaves the living room, Anjali and Nani squeal and hug each other in joy. Then they call the rest of the family members.
Shyam was not at home so except him, the rest of the family arrive.
Anjali says: You guys won't believe what happened...
Then she narrates the story.
Mamaji and Aakash were very happy. NK was sad as he really liked Khushi.
But Mamiji started crying big tears: Hello hi bye bye... That phatti saree must have done black magic on our Arnav bitua. Why would he marry that poor nobody when every girl from high society can cut their arms and legs to marry him?
Nani (Irritated): Manorama, why don't you ask Chotey yourself?
At that time Shyam arrives. He is in a very bad mood after getting major insult from Buaji for peeking inside their home to see Khushi rehearsing for the Sangeet.
Anjali sees him and says: Listen, I have to tell you a very happy news... Chotey...
Arnav is on his way out but when he sees Shyam he stops on his track. He remembers he now has more than Khushi to protect.
He says: Hold on Di... I will tell jijaji the news myself.
Shyam gives a fake smile: Sure Saale Sahab. What is it?
Arnav smiles a nasty smile: I have decided to get married on the same day as Aakash.
Shyam (shocked, but relieved at the same time): That's great. But who is the bride? I did not know you have found someone for you...
Arnav: You know her jijaji. It's Khushi Kumari Gupta...
Shyam (Shocked): What? Khushiji? No...
Arnav fakes politeness: Are not you going to congratulate me? Jijaji?
Shyam (angry at the turn of events): Rani saheba? How can this happen? And so quickly? I mean, have you even asked Khushiji yet? Mamiji, don't you have anything to say? Mamaji? Naniji?
Mamiji (Still sniffing in her hankie): I was saying the same thing damadji. That phatti saree must have done some black magic on our Arnav bitua...
Nani (upset with her): Manorama, don't forget that you are talking about your soon-to-be eldest daughter in law... Don't say anything that you might regret later.
Shyam: But Naniji... How can you allow this? This is too soon. It's a wedding, not a joke... Saale sahab has agreed for marriage before, but broke it off on his engagement day. How can you be sure that it won't happen again?
Arnav (Angry): You don't have to worry about that jijaji... But if you are that much concerned, I am prepared to marry Khushi right now... (smiles a nasty smile)...
Shyam: What? No... I mean I think you should wait and see if you are suited for each other before you hurry. I mean there is no rush right?
Arnav: I have made up my mind jijaji and I will not change it.
Shyam: Rani saheba, you say something.
Anjali: I don't understand why are you so upset? This is happy news.
Arnav: Di, let me talk to jijaji for a moment.
He grabs Shyam and drags him to the terrace..
Shyam: Saale sahab, stop dragging me...
Arnav: Jijaji, let's stop the act. I know your true colours. So let me make it very clear. If you try to stop the wedding by any means or my Di is harmed in any way, I will make sure you don't live long enough to tell the tale...
Shyam (scared but feigns innocence): What are you talking about saale sahab?
Arnav: I'm talking about you cheating my di and trying to marry Khushi pretending to be a bachelor...
Shyam (shocked at Arnav knowing the truth): What? That's a lie.
Arnav (stares at him hard): I have proof of all your lies. Khushi's neighbours have identified your picture as their former paying guest and Khushi's fianc.
Shyam (starts lying): She tried to trap me saale sahab. You know these cheap gold diggers. She and her family were forcing me to marry her...
Arnav (hold his collar): Shut up. One word about my Khushi and I will make sure you never breathe again.
He leaves his collar: You will leave this city tonight and never return. You will also sign the divorce papers Aman will get you tonight.
Shyam (smiles his twisted smile): What makes you think I will do it saale sahab?
Arnav (smiles his own ASR smile): My detectives have found all your shady cases and black market deals. One peep from me and you will be behind the bars for life. The choice is yours.
Shyam (scared): You can't do that... What will happen to your Di?
Arnav: I am Arnav Singh Raizada. I can do anything and I will... Don't worry about Di. She will be taken care of. But if you try to tell Di anything or try to manipulate the situation, the papers I have will go the commissioner of Police. And trust me, I know enough people in this city to make your life very difficult even behind the bars.
Shyam (sweating now): I will leave the city...
Arnav: Good. My men will arrive tonight to take you. You will leave tonight with them.
He turns to leave and then turns back: Oh and by the way, don't try to play any dirty tricks on any member of my or Khushi's family. If you do, my men will send their sets of evidence to court. You see, I made multiple copies of the evidence...
He smirks at Shyam's worried and sweaty face, puts on his sunglasses and leaves the terrace...


When Arnav comes down, Manorama blocks his way: Why Arnav bitua why? Why marry phatti saree?
Arnav: Mamiji, why did mamaji marry you?
Mamiji (surprised): Because he loved me.
Arnav just smiled.
Mamiji looked in his eyes and saw immense love for Khushi...
She remembered Arnav who did not know what love was, never believed in it. But today his entire being is glowing in love. This miracle happened because of Khushi. Her mother's heart sighed.
She said: Fine. We will talk to phatti sarees family. But I'm still the eldest daughter in law of the family.
Arnav smiles: Mamiji, you are the best daughter in law of this family so far... I like Khushi because she reminds me of you.
Mamiji blushes: Okay okay... No need to butter me.
She turns and wipes her tears of happiness which rolled down from her eyes...


Arnav goes to living room and tells everyone that all differences have been sorted out between him and Shyam...
Anjali is relieved.
Shyam arrives with suitcase.
Anjali (surprised): Where are you going?
Shyam (gives her fake smile): Rani saheba, I have an urgent case. I have to leave.
Anjali: But wait until Chotey's and Aakash's wedding. Then go.
Shyam glares at Arnav: I can't. Sorry...
Shyam leaves Shantivan where he is met by Arnav's men. They put him in car and drive off...


Meanwhile, Arnav calls Gupta House...
Buaji picks up the phone.
Arnav: Buaji, this is Arnav. Can I speak to Payal?
Buaji: Oh babua, you? Sure. (shouts) Payaliya, you have a call...
Payal comes and picks up the phone.
Arnav: Payal...
Payal: Yes Arnavji.
Arnav: I just thought I'd ask how are you and your family.
Payal (surprised): We are good.
Arnav: So everyone is fine, right? I mean uncle, aunty, Buaji... (Pauses for a second) Khushi
Payal (Even more surprised): Ummm... Yes. Babuji, amma and Buaji have gone to bed. Khushi is making the bed. We will go to sleep soon...
Arnav (relieved that nothing happened to Khushi yet): Okay. Do you want to talk to Aakash?
Payal (blushing): No. It's okay...
Arnav: Okay. Good night...
Payal: Good night...
Arnav hangs up the phone, grabs his keys and leaves Shantivan...


Payal is surprised at the weird conversation.
Khushi comes out and asks Payal: Jiji, what are you thinking? Who was on the phone? Jijaji?
Payal: No, Arnavji...
Khushi (upset): Jiji, did he say something bad? Did he hurt you?
Payal: No. He was very polite. He just asked how everyone was and hanged up the phone.
Khushi (surprised): What? I think Laad Governor has gone mad. He had been behaving odd all day.
Payal smacks Khushi: Shush... Let's go to bed.
Khushi (still thinking): Jiji, you go... I'm coming in a minute.

Arnav parks his car in front of Happyji's garage like he had once parked when he came to stay in Gupta House.
He takes out his very own electric mosquito racket, a blanket, water bottle and his diabetes medicine and goes to the front of Gupta House where they keep a small wooden cot.
He puts his stuff on the cot and peeks in Khushi's room. He sees Payal sleeping already and Khushi sitting in front of the mirror combing her long hair and muttering to herself.
He leans in to hear better...
Khushi (fully animated mode): God knows what happened to the Laad Governor. He was never polite to me before. On top of it, he was looking at me like I was his laptop... (Looks up) Hey Devi Maiyya, why does Laad Governor do this? Just when I think my acidity is gone, Laad Governor goes and starts it again...
Arnav puzzled: Acidity?
Then he smiles and shakes his head: Crazy...
He goes back to the cot and sits down. All the while keeping his eyes on Khushi's window.
He hears a squeak and sees Khushi climbing on her "side" of the bed that squeaked when he took that side.
He knew that it will be a very uncomfortable night. But when it comes to Khushi's safety, the only person he trusts is himself...
Everytime he heard a squeak, he woke up from his dozing. He kept watch as Khushi moved around the bed all night almost pushing off Payal a couple of time...
He spent that night thinking of those nights they spent on the same bed and he woke up with Khushi's hand on him or his hand on Khushi's...

As morning dawned, Arnav woke up at 4 a.m. from his light doze covered in blanket and with the electric mosquito racket in hand.
He once more walked to the window and saw Khushi half-sprawled on Payal sleeping like a baby.
He smiled at her, gathered his stuff and before anyone could see him, left for Shantivan...

2 comments: