Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Chapter 6



Arnav reaches Shantivan around 5 a.m. and goes to bed.
Around 8 p.m. his cell phone alarm rings. He wakes up and gets ready. He put on his white shirt and remembers Khushi tearing its sleeve the day after their wedding and trying to hide behind his curtains unsuccessfully...
He remembers her scared eyes when he moves the curtain and then confused look when he does not shout at her. He gets a sad smile on his face remembering how he gave her his Ma's bangles.
He vows: Khushi, when I give you my Ma's bangles this time, you will know how much I love you.
He goes to Anjali's room. She was getting ready to go to Gupta House.
He says: Di, do you have Ma's bangles?
Anjali turns to him in surprise: Yes Chotey.
Arnav: I was thinking, maybe I will give Khushi those bangles now as I have not bought a ring yet. Then later take her to buy the ring of her choice.
Anjali gets teary eyed.
She comes closer to Arnav and puts her palm lovingly on his cheek and says: Chotey, you have no idea how happy you made me today... I waited for this day for so long. Ma would have been so proud. There is no one more worthy of those bangles as Khushiji.
She wipes her tears and gets the bangles and the letter and gives them to Arnav.
Arnav leaves the room with them and goes to his poolside.
He looks up in the sky: Ma, I hope your blessing in these bangles will protect Khushi. You know naa Ma that I can't live without her? Please do whatever you can to save my Khushi...
He wipes his tears and leaves...

Naniji, Mamiji, Mamaji, NK, Anjali and Aakash were ready to go to Gupta House. When Arnav comes down, they all leave for Gupta House.

Gupta House:
Khushi was mimicking Mamiji by dressing up as her. Payal was giggling at her antics...
Someone knocked on the door. Khushi opened it in full on Mamiji mode: Hello Hi...
The moment she sees Arnav standing beside Mamiji, she goes back and shuts the door with a bang...

Arnav gets a message from Aman regarding the movers which he was finalizing in his blackberry when the door opened. He looks up and there she was in her Mamiji glory... He looks on his right where Mamiji was busy sprinkling perfume on her. Khushi bangs the door shut and he turns the other side to hide his smile... This is the happy, funny, crazy Khushi he fell in love with...
Mamiji looks up at the bang and looks to Arnav in surprise.
A few moments later Buaji opens the door with Payal.
They all go in and sit down.
Anjali nods at Naniji.
Naniji looks at Buaji and Garima: I have come to ask you for something very precious today. I hope you won't say no.
Buaji and Garima look at each other worriedly hoping they are not asking for dowry.
Buaji answers with folded hands: We are poor people. But whatever we can afford, we will give to our daughter. Tell me Devyaniji, what can we give you?
Naniji smiles: We want your other daughter Khushi for my grandson.
Khushi arrives with tea tray and looks at NK in surprise.
Buaji and Garima get happy.
Buaji: Devyaniji, that's our good luck. We always liked NandKishore. They will look perfect with each other just like Radha Krishna...
NK gives a weak smile to Buaji...
Arnav gets angry and glares at Nani.
Nani sees the look in Arnav's eyes.
She gets into damage control mode: No no, Madhumatiji... We would like Khushi for our eldest grandson, Arnav...
Khushi shouts: What?
Buaji and Garima were shocked. They look at Shashi. Shashi had a soft smile on his face.
Aakash looks at Payal and they smile at each other in happiness.
Khushi looks at everyone and then at Arnav and then looks back at her family. Arnav looks at Khushi's expression with a smirk on his face.
Buaji says with a nervous laugh: Well, if Khushi agrees, then I guess we agree too.
Anjali hurries to convince Khushi: Khushiji, you will be very happy at our home. Payalji will be with you. It will be so much fun. We will...
NK: Control your sales pitch, Di... Let Khushiji make her own decision...
Anjali gives a weak smile and pleading glance at Khushi.
Khushi takes a deep breath and opens her mouth to speak: I am honoured that you consider me suitable for your daughter-in-law... However, I...
Arnav interrupts: Would like to accept this proposal.
He goes to Khushi and puts an arm around her and beams to his family.
Khushi scowls and then tries to continue again: I was going to say is that...
Arnav interrupts again: She will be very happy if we can get married on the same day as Payal and Aakash. All functions will happen at the same time for both couples.
Buaji (worried): Well, that is a very good idea. But how can we arrange for both weddings on such a short notice?
Khushi squirms to get away from Arnav's iron hold and tries to open her mouth again: I...
Arnav butts in: Don't worry about that Buaji. All arrangement and expenses will be taken care of by us. You will only have to be present there.
Naniji: Yes, Madhumatiji. Also, our request is that you all stay at our place until the wedding is over. Then we can celebrate both wedding as family.
Buaji: How is this possible Devyaniji? We are bride's family...
Arnav: Please Buaji. Think of me as your family and my place as yours. I won't accept no for an answer...
He bends down in front of Babuji and says: Babuji, please agree to come to my home. It's very important to me. I promise, I won't let anyone hurt my family.
Shashi looks at Arnav's eyes and sees the love & determination for his Khushi. He nods his head.
Everyone was surprised. Buaji and Garima get tears in their eyes. Khushi and Payal kneel beside Shashi with tears in their eyes.
Buaji: Now that Shashi babua agrees, then we won't say no. We will go to your home.
Arnav whips up his cell phone and places a call. Within an hour the movers arrive and they were packed and ready to go.
The rest of the family leaves except Khushi. Arnav assures them that he will bring her.

Arnav then looks around and sees Khushi standing in front of their garden with her head bowed.
He walks up to her: Khushi?
Khushi looks at him with tear filled eyes: Why? Why are you doing this? You know that I was going to say no. But you did not let me speak.
Arnav walks up to her, holds her face up in his palm and looks deep into her eyes: Khushi, I wanted to marry you because I can't live without you. It took me a long time to realize that. But I know you are a better person than I. You will forgive me and give me another chance.
Khushi looks at Arnav in wonder. He is saying everything she wanted to hear. Suddenly she remembers Shyam.
She gets scared and moves back. She looks up at him and says: Arnavji, there is something you don't know. If I agree to this match, it will ruin someone's life and I can't do that.
Arnav comes forward, holds Khushi's hands in his fists and says: Khushi, I know what you are scared of. I know about Shyam.
Khushi looks up shocked: You do?
Arnav: Yes. Just tell me, do you trust me?
Khushi: Yes.
Arnav: Then trust me when I say that he will never come back in your or Di's life. He will have to go through me to get you. I won't let anything happen to you.
Khushi glows with happiness: Really?
Arnav smiles at her: Yes. If you stand by me, we can make sure Di is always happy. Will you be by my side, Khushi?
Khushi smiles happily through tears: Yes yes, Arnavji. I will stand by you always.
Arnav: I have something for you. I did not have a chance to buy your engagement ring. But I brought you something I hope you will like.
He takes out his Ma's bangles from his pocket and her letter.
Arnav: These are my Ma's bangles and her letter which she left for her daughter-in-law. These are yours from now on.
He takes Khushi's dainty hands and slides the bangles home. The sun shines on them like blessings.
Khushi looks at them in wonder. She looks up to Arnav and whispers thank you.
Arnav bends down and lifts Khushi in his arms and takes his bride home...


1 comment:

  1. my only regret is if this could have happen in actual show

    ReplyDelete