Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Chapter 3


Arnav wakes up with the sunlight shining on his face hurting his gritty eyes. Since Khushi's death he had been sleeping on the poolside. He could not bear to stay in their room surrounded by her memories.
The bed Khushi used to sleep on is left empty... So did the recliner where they once spent one night in each other's arms.
He has not been to office since Khushi's death either. Aakash and surprisingly NK have taken over the responsibilities.
He got up from the hard floor of the pool side and slowly makes his way to the downstairs. As he goes down the stairs, he remembers the breakfast times when Khushi was alive, the day she made him wear a red shirt... The laughter, the fun, the smiles that used to echo everywhere.
Now it feels as if even the air passes sluggishly... Everyone was present at the breakfast table but no one was speaking. It feels as if the life has gone out from their home.
Anjali saw him and got up: Chotey, you are up? Come have breakfast with us.
Arnav sees Payal coming out of the kitchen with a plate full of chapatis. As soon as her eyes fall on her, she turns away. He leaves the dining room and gets out of Shantivan without eating breakfast with Payal's words still ringing in his ears.

*Flashback*

Khushi's Funeral:
Garima walks up to Arnav: Bitwa, I understand how much pain you are in. I know you loved Khushi very much. Don't keep any regret in your heart. None of us knew how evil Shyam was. Our Khushi had to pay the price for that. I want to thank you for making her so happy while she was alive. (She wipes her tears). But no matter what, you will always be my son.
Buaji: Yes Arnav Bitwa. Titliya is gone. But you will always be a part of our family.
Arnav screams unable to bear anymore: Stop stop... I can't bear it anymore. (He grabs Buaji) Buaji, Khushi did not die because of Shyam. She died because of me. I killed her. But she did not die that day Buaji. I killed her the day I married her.
He tells them the truth. The reason behind marriage, his condition, Khushi's helplessness, her tears, her sufferings... He also tells them how she died. Then he collapses down crying...
Everyone in the family was in shock. They remembered how they had treated Khushi and how she suffered with a smile on her face.
Payal walks up to Arnav and screams: You did this to my Khushi? She is dead because of you? How could you do this? She sold her mother's bangles to get you your precious plants so that you and Lavanyaji can be happy and you treated her like an animal? What kind of monster are you? I will never be able to forgive myself. I wish, she never met you in her life.
Arnav's eyes fill with tears realizing how much Khushi loved him...
Garima was still in shock.
Buaji walks up to Arnav and cries: Arnav bitwa, we are poor people. Is that why you could play with our child's life like that? If we were rich, would you have threatened our child? Hai re Nand Kishore... What have you done? I will never be able to forgive myself...
Buaji's eyes hardens: From now on, you are no one to us. You came to our home and we treated you like a son. We did not know that you did not deserve our love and concern.
Garima looks up to Arnav and says tearfully: You must have laughed at us poor people, calling you son... Our Khushi suffered alone. She kept telling me that you are the most wonderful husband in the world so that we don't worry. You must have been laughing at our audacity to even think that you actually cared about us poor people's feelings.
Arnav looks up tearfully: You all have a right to say whatever you are saying. I deserve it. But I really respected you. I just made a mistake and trust me I'll be paying for it for the rest of my life. I'll have to live without my Khushi for the rest of my life.
Buaji (angry): We have nothing to say to you anymore. We will never come back here again.
She turns to Payal who was quietly crying: Payal, this is your husband's home and you have to stay here. But we can't come to the home of the man who killed our girl.
Payal nods and runs to her room. Aakash goes after her.
Buaji and Garima leaves with Shashi vowing never to return to Shantivan despite Naniji, Mamaji, even Mamiji's pleading.

*FLASHBACK ENDS*

Arnav keeps walking on the streets of Delhi all day.
Today, he knows two most painful words are "Too Late"...
Too late to hold the ones you love...
Too late to tell them how much you love them...
Too late to take back all the hurts and make them happy...

Night falls. Tired and hungry he sits down under a tree. He feels as if he is about to faint.
Suddenly he feels a hand holding his neck and another hand feeding him jaggery.
He opens his eyes and sees an older woman in traditional Rajasthani costume is standing there. She was wearing a black ghagro with multi coloured embroidery. She was wearing white churas all the way to her armpit like typical Rajasthani Gypsies. But the most notable feature was her eyes which was like a tiger burning in the dark.
He asks: Who are you? Why did you help me?
The woman replies: I'm Lachhi. I helped you because you needed help.
Arnav says: The only way you can help me if you can give me back my love or kill me.
Lachhi: Your love is gone from where no one can come back.
Arnav gets startled: How did you know that?
Lachhi smirks: I know everything.
Arnav (Sadly): Then you also know that she died because of me. If I could have just one more chance with her, I would make her the happiest woman in the world. When she was with me, I did not recognize her worth. Now that she is gone, all I have got left is regret...
Lachhi: Hummm... You have made mistakes. But I can still help you, but may be not the way you will like.
Arnav looks up and painfully smirks: You mean you can kill me.
Lachhi: No. I can steal you time.
Arnav: Steal time? How can you steal time?
Lachhi: I can send you back to a time when your love was with you.
Arnav does not believe her, but his heart started beating faster: What nonsense. How can you do that?
Lachhi: You want to eat mangoes, why are you counting the seeds? What do you care how I do it? As long as I can.
Arnav is desperate to believe anything if it means he will get his Khushi back: You are right. Just give my Khushi back. I will give you as much money you want.
Lachhi: I don't want or need your money. I know you like to make deals. So let's make one. I have a few conditions in exchange of your time.
Arnav (Eager): I agree to every condition.
Lachhi laughs: Wait wait. First hear them. You may not want to make the deal after that.
Arnav (Impatient): Fine. Tell me your conditions.
Lachhi: No. 1 - I will send you back to a day of your choice from your life. From that day, you will have 7 days to relive and complete all unfinished work.
No. 2 - Seven days are maximum, not minimum. Your time can end earlier.
No. 3 - You can't tell anyone about the future. No one except you & I should know about this deal... 
No. 4 - Your time will end when your love will die and she can die anytime by any means within that 7 days. Even after the first moment...
Arnav screams: What do you mean she will die? I won't let it happen.
Lachhi: Her time had ended. So she had to die. It was her destiny. You can't change that. But you will remember everything.
Arnav cries: But what if I take her somewhere safe?
Lachhi: She will still die. She can die by food poisoning or stumble down the stairs or drown in the pool... I said she can die anytime within the 7 days by any means. So your 7 days can end in one day or you can make it last for 7 days. But she will die regardless. Now it's your turn to make deal. Think. Can you see your love dying a second time for a time which may or may not last longer than a moment or is that too much for your heart to take?
Arnav looks inside his heart and says: Deal. I will take it...
Lachhi raises her brow: I thought you were very shrewd businessman. Don't you think you made a deal which might prove to be a loss?
Arnav (smiles painfully): I'm already going through pain beyond imagination. Seeing her die once more might just kill me. But I can give up my life just to see her for a moment. I will take the deal.
Lachhi laughs out loud: Fine. Then take this (she hands him something wrapped in a small piece of paper). Take this and put it under your pillow tonight and think about the day you want to go. Your time will start from tomorrow. But don't open this or it won't work.
Arnav looks down at the wrap in his hand. He looks up: Thank...
No one was there. Lachhi is gone.
He looks down again and sees the paper wrap still in his hand. He tightens his fist around it.
Suddenly he hears Aakash and NK calling his name.
NK: Look. There is Nannav.
They come to him. Aakash: Where have you been bhai? Di was worried.
Arnav looks at him with bright eyes: Let's go home Aakash.
NK: Nannav are you all right?
Arnav looks at NK: Yes, NK. Let's go home right now.
Aakash and NK exchange a look. They take Arnav home.
As soon as they get home, Anjali comes to Arnav: Chotey, are you...
Before she could finish, Arnav runs up the stairs in full speed.
Anjali (Puzzled): What happened to Chotey?
Aakash and NK shrug their shoulder indicating they had no idea.
Arnav goes to his room, shuts the door and puts the wrap carefully under his pillow. He lies down on his pillow with Khushi's picture on his chest and thinks about all the memories he had with Khushi. He slowly slips into a dreamless sleep with a tender smile on his face.

1 comment: